Ok, I admit it…. I start my famous spaghetti sauce with 3 jars of organic pasta sauce. When I was in High School I went to a friend’s birthday party whose mother made the best Lasagna I had ever eaten. She made her sauce from scratch and was gracious enough to give me the recipe. I made it a few times but it was way too time consuming for me by the time I was a busy mother and part-time business owner. Since that first Lasagna experience, I have made many improvements to the sauce over the years and consider it one of the tastiest, healthiest pasta sauces ever invented. Once you taste this sauce, you will never eat spaghetti at not even the best Italian Restaurants in New York City! It only takes about 30 minutes of prep time and an hour to simmer OR you can put all of the ingredients in a crock pot in the morning and cook it on the low setting all day. This recipe makes enough pasta sauce for my husband and I to enjoy for 2 to 3 meals of spaghetti and have enough left over to make a big batch of Mama Mia’s 3-Layer Lasagna. Slice up the Lasagna in serving sized chunks and freeze them individually in freezer safe containers (or cellophane wrap) and heat them up later on. Super healthy, super easy!
INGREDIENTS: (I use only organic produce and herbs)
- 2 pounds of ground grass-fed meat or meat substitute – sauté in a large saucepan in Olive Oil until browned
Add the rest in this order (or if using a crock pot, pour meat into crock pot first):
- 2 medium to large Onions, diced
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, diced
- 1 whole Garlic Bulb, peeled and diced
- 1 small pkg. sliced Mushrooms (optional)
- 3 jars of Organic Pasta Sauce
- 2 cans of diced Tomatoes
- 1 small bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 Tablespoons (2T.) dried Oregano Flakes
- 2 T. dried or fresh Parsley Flakes
- 2 T. dried or fresh Basil Flakes
- 1 T. dried or fresh Cilantro Flakes
- 2 T. Turmeric Powder (YES!)
- 1 tsp. Sea, Celtic or Himalaya Pink Salt
- 1 tsp. ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp. Rosemary Leaves – grind a little with a grinder
- 1 tsp. Fennel Seeds – grind with the Rosemary
Simmer on LOW for an hour or so.
Start the meal with a fresh, organic salad of romaine, arugula ,sliced cucumbers, green onions or radishes, banana peppers, cherry tomatoes and Italian Dressing… Bon Apetit!